Teaching English to non-native speakers

There are different types of qualifications for teaching English to non-English speakers including TEFL, TESOL, TESL and CELTA. Let’s explain the differences:

TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language)

Certificates are recognised around the world and can be completed online and in your own time. A 120 hour course would be required by most employers.

TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)

Similar to a TEFL but is the preferred option for those wanting to teach students who are not just learning English in classroom environment e.g. teaching immigrants or refugees who have come to a native English country where English is all around them. A TEFL learner will only hear English in the classroom.

TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language)

TESL teacher will likely be teaching English in a country where many languages are used but English is one of the main languages.

CELTA (Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Foreign Languages)

A qualification provided by the University of Cambridge Local Examinations Syndicate and regarded as the crème de la crème of these types of teaching courses. A CELTA accredited qualification will enable you to work almost anywhere in the world – and get paid well for doing so!

Stafford House logo

A group of English language schools across the UK and Canada.

i to i logo

With over 26 years experience and the world’s largest TEFL community.