Travel Documents

British passport - gap year travel documents

What documents will I need to take?


Always check the entry requirements for your destination, in most cases your passport will need to be valid for 6 months from the date of your proposed return – this will give you a bit of flexibility in case you would like to extend your trip. Keep your passport safe! Take a copy and keep it digitally whilst you travel, as well as leaving a copy at home with your parent/guardian.

Travel Visas

Most countries that you visit will require you to obtain a visa or entry permit, so do your homework! Visit the High Commission/Embassy of the country/countries you are planning to visit. Sometimes visa applications are outsourced so you will need to make sure you are using the legitimate website. You may need to apply in advance but some can be obtained on arrival. The costs will vary too so factor this in to your budget.

TOP TIP: Always check the validity of the visa – you may need to extend if you are staying somewhere for any length of time; make sure you find out how to do this and what you will need before you leave home.

Driving licence

If you are planning to do some driving overseas, always consider the risks involved and what the restrictions are for your destination. Will your travel insurance cover you for driving overseas? Taking your driving licence with you means you will have a second form of photo identity too.

TOP TIP: Take copies of ALL your travel documents and some spare passport photos. Keep hard copies and digital, as well as leaving copies with someone back home.

CIBT Visas logo

Millions of international travellers have trusted CIBTvisas to secure their visas.

Scott's Visas logo

Scott’s can obtain visas for most countries around the world.

The Travel Visa Company logo

The Travel Visa Company are experts in providing information and assistance regarding travel visas and entry requirements.

VisaHQ logo

VisaHQ services are available to over two billion people worldwide.